Committees: Policy Committee, Executive Committee; Activity Meetings.
Main Role: The Membership Secretary oversees the process for interviewing new members and adjudicates on the suitability of prospective members in cases of doubt. He (or she) recruits and trains existing members for panelling and sets the standards for prospective members.
Deputies: At least one, preferable two from within the Membership Panelling Team.
* Organise and train Membership Team (ideally 12-16) for Wednesday evening, and others by special arrangement, and get team approved by Exec. With Deputy arrange rota of events. Encourage new panellist (younger, enthusiastic and new members).
* Prepare guidelines on panelling, what should be covered, policy on age, policy on encouraging people to join on the night, etc, policy on which types of people considered unsuitable.
* Act, with deputy, as final decision maker if a paneller has doubts about the suitability of prospective members for club.
* Liaise with Club Night venue to ensure no problems.
* Act as appeal court for those seeking refunds of membership fees, and any other difficulties arising. May prepare general guidelines for office administrator to follow without reference, with agreement of Exec.
* Consider suitability of Club Night venue, find alternatives, as necessary.
* Build team to introduce prospective or new members to other people at Club Night after panelling process has been complete. Encourage Organisers or hosts to attend to promote their activities, especially weekends away.
* Revise Membership Regulations and make recommendations to policy committee on necessary changes.
* With Marketing Manager consider effectiveness of publicity in attracting the right applicants.
* Review with Marketing Manager the process from prospective members to first year renewal to identify any improvements to increase take up and renewal rates.